1.1 Visual acuity (refer AFTD, page 124, 129)
Are glasses or contact lenses worn?
1.2 Visual Fields (refer AFTD, page 125-26, 128)
2. Hearing (refer AFTD, page 67-69 including flowchart)
Assess clinically in the first instance. Audiometry is only required if clinical assessment indicates possible hearing loss. (Clinical tests used to screen for hearing impairment include testing whether a person can hear a whispered voice, a finger rub, or a watch tick at a specific distance. Perceived hearing loss can be assessed by asking a single question (for example, “Do you have difficulty with your hearing?” as per the Driver Health Questionnaire)
Possible hearing loss?
If yes, are hearing aids worn ?
3. Cardiovascular system (refer AFTD page 39-58)
Pulse rate beats/min
4. Diabetes (Refer AFTD page 59-66)
5. Musculoskeletal / neurological system (Refer AFTD page 71-75, 76-105)
(* A pass requires the ability to maintain balance while standing with shoes off, feet together side by side, eyes closed and arms by sides, for thirty seconds)
Functional/ practical assessment required?
6. Psychological health (Refer AFTD page 107-110)
7. Sleep disorders (Refer AFTD page 112-115)
Existing sleep disorder?
ESS Score (Screen):
(Q 5 of Driver Health Questionnaire)
(Score > 16 is consistent with moderate to severe excessive daytime sleepiness. Do not rely solely on the ESS to rule out sleep apnoea)
Clinical signs of sleep disorder
8. Substance misuse (Refer AFTD page 117 -121)
Note: Drug screening not routinely required.
Existing substance use disorder?
Audit Score (Screen):
(Q6 of Driver Health Questionnaire)
(Score > 8 indicates strong likelihood of hazardous or harmful alcohol consumption)
Clinical signs of substance misuse